Published: Apr 07, 2022
Does Coconut Oil Lighten the Skin? Learn All About This Method of Treatment
If you're wondering: does coconut oil lighten the skin? Here's your answer. Coconut oil provides fatty acids to the skin necessary to maintain the skin's natural tone and vibrancy.
People who suffer from acne will likely notice that the condition (breakouts) will worsen when they start using coconut oil. Coconut oil is acting on the lesions, so this is normal. As a fatty component, coconut oil also takes time to take effect, so it's important to keep that in mind. As a result, it is usually used as a secondary lightening method while supporting its effect with some cream or whitening product.
Coconut oil is presented as a practical solution (due to its infinite properties) that is very accessible. Comparing its cost to treat darkening of the skin (which can be caused by prolonged exposure to the sun and its ultraviolet rays, air pollution, acne, or dry skin), it's no wonder why so many people use coconut oil on their skin.
We must also realize that our skin's health is largely determined by what we eat, so it is imperative to incorporate into the diet foods that provide us with the proper amount of nutrients so that our skin remains healthy. As we incorporate healthy eating routines, we can care for our skin in other ways as well.
There has been much discussion over the years about whether coconut oil lightens skin, but in reality, its properties are varied and helpful for treating different skin problems. This article will explore the properties of coconut oil and discuss how to use it effectively in daily skincare routines.
Does Coconut Oil Lighten Skin Really? YES!
Do coconut oils really lighten the skin? Absolutely! The claim we are making about the oil is true since it largely consists of nourishing fats (that benefit various skin conditions) and saturated acids. Components such as these help preserve the product for years with no risk of damage and also have a lightening effect.
The oils come in two forms: refined or extra virgin. The latter is best since the nutrients and properties the oil naturally possesses are not lost.
Why is it good? The truth is, it is difficult to list all its benefits, but among the most outstanding are its antibacterial and rejuvenating properties. The versatility of coconut oil makes it useful for a wide range of uses, for example, adding flavor to food preparations in the kitchen or for cosmetic products that use coconut oil as their base.
How Does Coconut Oil Work?
Taking into account all the properties and advantages offered by this vegetable oil, it is necessary to ask ourselves how all these nutrients act on our skin? How does coconut oil lighten the skin? It is through our skin's ability to absorb nutrients.
Coconut oil has nourishing fatty acids that allow our skin to retain more fluids and therefore remain hydrated and with greater luminosity. The presence of linoleic acid or vitamin F will allow the skin to retain that moisture, while lauric acid gives it antibacterial properties that will prevent the appearance of conditions such as acne.
To obtain good results using coconut oil, knowing the best time to integrate it into our routine is necessary. Experts recommend applying it during the night care routine as prolonged exposure to the sun can cause spots or allergic reactions.
Coconut oil should be used about 20 to 30 minutes before bedtime in order to avoid these risks. By doing so, the skin has ample time to absorb the oil, and the next morning will be softer and more radiant.
Benefits of Using Coconut Oil as a Daily Routine
After prolonged coconut oil use, we can expect to see greater benefits, including:
- Greater hydration: Coconut oil acts by reinforcing the skin's protective layer, maintaining internal moisture avoiding dryness in the face.
- Provides softness: Coconut oil prevents injuries such as irritation and helps the skin in cell regeneration thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Prevents and improves spots: According to several experts, coconut oil lightens the skin and helps unify its tone. It is advisable to use it together with facial whitening products to accelerate its effect.
- Fights fine wrinkles: Lauric acid (one of the main components of coconut oil) benefits the production of collagen, which is the protein responsible for maintaining the firmness and elasticity of the skin.
- Protects the skin from the action of free radicals: These are the molecules responsible for creating cellular oxidation. When this happens, it negatively affects the appearance of our skin, highlighting imperfections and creating a dirty look on our face. For this reason, coconut oil works as an excellent makeup remover or facial cleanser.
Possible Side Effects and How to Avoid Them
Like any natural treatment, coconut oil may not be effective for all skin types. Therefore, it's important to be aware of the possible side effects.
Firstly, it is important to know that coconut oil is a comedogenic substance, which means that it can clog pores due to its greasy consistency, causing acne breakouts.
People who possess an oily skin type might feel that coconut oil accelerates sebum production. This will increase the appearance of fat on the skin and the possible appearance of blackheads.
The best way to include coconut oil in our routine is to perform an allergy test. To do this, you rub a small amount of oil on the jawline and let it act overnight, check for reactions in the morning.
Using coconut oil at night while we sleep is generally recommended. Apart from UV light causing spots and hyperpigmentation to appear faster, this prevents dust and dirt from sticking to the oil and our skin.
Methods of use
Coconut oil has been used mainly as a moisturizer and lightener. We can apply it by itself, but its results are much more effective when we accompany it with other natural ingredients.
We can mix coconut oil with several components and create different recipes to enhance the results. Here we present three of the most common and effective coconut oil combinations for the skin:
Coconut oil with baking soda
Baking soda is another great natural bleach, and it also works as an excellent exfoliant, removing dead skin cells.
How to use:
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with 1/4 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Stir until you get a paste.
- Apply to the face and leave on for about 10 minutes.
This preparation can be used as a mask, and it is recommended to do it preferably during the day.
Coconut Oil With Turmeric
Turmeric is a natural ingredient that stimulates melanin production and can become a great option to unify the tone of our skin.
How to use:
- Mix 1 or two tablespoons of turmeric and add the coconut oil continuously until a fine paste is formed.
- Apply it in the specific areas with stains or darkening
- Let it act throughout the night and remove with warm water the following day.
Coconut, Lemon and Honey Oil
These three ingredients are used for their depigmenting and lightening properties.
The astringent and antibacterial properties of lemon act on our skin, eliminating any impurity, and the healing and soothing effect of honey helps us treat any type of irritation.
How to use:
- Mix all the elements in a bowl until you get a mask with a dense consistency
- Apply on the face
- Leave on for approximately 15 minutes, and then remove with plenty of cold water and facial cleanser.
This mask should only be applied during the night since the contact of the sun with the lemon could cause spots. It is recommended to use sunscreen the day after an application to prevent any damage.
Important Tips and Precautions to Keep in Mind
- Be realistic: The effects of coconut oil are not immediate, which is why we must consider that the results may be visible after approximately one month of starting its application.
- Use extra virgin oil without additives: Using extra virgin oil, we can take better advantage of the product's components and considerably reduce the chances of allergic reactions. In the same way, it is important to perform the relevant tests.
- Maintain a suitable diet: Since our skin health depends largely on what we eat, we should consume a diet rich in vegetables and fruits, with little processed food, and drink plenty of water.
- Daily cleansing routine: Daily cleaning will be essential to obtain positive results. Keeping the skin clean and well hydrated will help us better absorb coconut oil's components into our skin. The use of sunscreen will be the best ally to protect and prevent future skin spots.
The Best Bleaching Ally
After carefully considering all of its components and benefits, we continue to say YES to the question: Does coconut oil lighten skin? This product will accelerate the process of whitening your skin and provide essential nutrients to help prevent all negative skin conditions. As we have already seen, its effectiveness will depend on the perseverance and discipline with which it is applied.