Published: Feb 25, 2022
IPL for Stretch Marks: Does it Really Work?
There is a great deal of frustration among women who have stretch marks on their skin, so creams and lotions that claim to remove stretch marks are very common on the market. However, no method has ever been as effective as IPL for stretch marks.
IPL has changed the skincare industry significantly. Since this treatment has multiple advantages for reducing stretch marks, many women have found a new way to show off their bodies again in situations where stretch marks were a big problem in the past.
We have included more information about stretch marks in this article. If you want to learn how they appear, prevent them, and how IPL works for stretch marks, continue reading below.
What is IPL and How Does it Work?
An IPL treatment for stretch marks uses wavelengths of intense pulsed light directed towards the blood vessels located in the dermis (second layer of skin) that have dilated, resulting in stretch marks.
The intense pulsed light transforms the energy produced by broken blood vessels into heat, and destroys them. Even though the emitted pulses of light cover a specific area of about 5 square centimeters, they are directed only towards the affected cells. You need not worry about the surrounding area being damaged or affected when performing the treatment.
Depending on the severity of your stretch marks, the treating specialist will determine how many treatment sessions will be necessary to achieve optimal results. After the first treatment, you will see a noticeable reduction in the appearance of your stretch marks. However, at least four treatments will be required to remove at least 80% of the strech marks. Check out our article about the benefits of IPL.
Is IPL for Stretch Marks Safe?
IPL for stretch marks is a non-invasive technique that works with skin cells, removing unwanted ones and promoting collagen and elastin production. That is why it takes a certain amount of time and consistency to achieve the set goal.
A single application or treatment session only requires about 20 minutes total (depending on the size of the area to be treated). Therefore, the procedure will not take much time, and additionally, you will be able to rest three to four weeks before performing the next procedure.
IPL for Stretch Marks: How to Get Rid of Them
It is impossible to remove stretch marks, but we can greatly improve their appearance and not feel insecure on the beach and at the pool by showing a little skin. IPL for stretch marks? Definitely. let's take an in-depth look at what else IPL has to offer.
We can predict when stretch marks will appear by knowing the cause as a first step. Basically, they appear due to hormonal changes or acute stretching of the skin.
How often do you suffer from these hormonal changes? During pregnancy, adolescence, and menopause, these changes are especially noticeable. Consequently, during those stages, the skin usually loses its elasticity, is forced to stretch more than it should, and then develops stretch marks.
Other conditions may cause hormonal changes, including adrenal gland disorders (which cause cortisone production to rise, and high levels of cortisone result in sagging skin).
Stretch marks can appear on anyone. Almost everyone has stretch marks at some point in their lives, regardless of age or stage.
They usually appear as wavy lines on the skin and can be light red, silver (or white, if you are fair-skinned), or light purple and occur more commonly on the thighs, hips, and stomach.
Because topical treatments do not seem to be very effective in treating stretch marks, we offer you IPL as a viable solution today.
Why IPL is the Best Solution for Stretch Marks?
IPL uses handheld devices that emit precise, intense, powerful and broad spectrum light rays to treat the skin.
By emitting flashes of light, the skin is stimulated to produce collagen, increasing elasticity, and smoothening and normalizing the skin's texture and pigmentation, in addition to removing all unwanted tissues.
Even though stretch marks are scars, they can be reduced in appearance by as much as 90%, even though they cannot be completely removed. If you go for a minimum of two or three sessions (up to five if they are deep and old) of IPL treatment for stretch marks, spaced away by at least one month, you will see noticeable changes in your skin. Besides, collagen stimulation continues even after months of completing the full treatment. Check out our article about IPL before and after 1 treatment
Stretch marks that are pink or red are recent and shallow; thus, you will need only a few treatments. On the other hand, if they are white or silvery, they are likely to be older, have less collagen, and cover a larger area, requiring at least five sessions of IPL treatment for stretch marks.
Strategies to Prevent Formation of Stretch Marks
Even though stretch marks cannot always be avoided, it is good to have self-care routines that help ensure that, if they do arise, they are not so deep and highly evident. For those cases we recommend following the following tips:
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet that also includes good hydration to strengthen the skin and promote its elasticity.
- Avoid sudden weight changes. To ensure that your skin adjusts properly after you diet, combine it with exercise.
- If you practice an exercise routine, use comfortable bras that hold your breasts correctly, to avoid discomfort during the activity and that have a tendency to stretch that area of the skin. Check out our article about IPL healing stages.
The Reasons to Follow These Strategies
- It is important to maintain a standard and healthy weight, to prevent the skin from suffering very abrupt stretching. Whether it's weight gain or loss if you're exercising and taking steroids, you need to monitor your intake and focus on maintaining a balanced diet based on how much exercise you practice.
- Water will help keep your skin soft and hydrated throughout your life, so it's important to drink plenty of it every day. When the skin is dry, stretch marks are more likely to arise. Some people tend to consume a lot of coffee. This drink, precisely, increases the possibility of developing stretch marks. You should drink a lot of other liquids that don't contain caffeine, such as herbal teas and simply water, along with your coffee intake.
- Eating healthy and balanced also means getting the right nutrients. Therefore, we recommend that you include foods in your diet that contain vitamin C, D, E, zinc and protein.
- Add fruits to your diet. Citrus fruits, specifically, are rich in vitamin C. Getting enough vitamin C can help prevent stretch marks, because it is a nutrient that collaborates in the natural collagen production in the skin. Therefore, if you consume enough vitamin C, you will also be able to reduce the likelihood of developing deep wrinkles.
- Consuming products such as yogurt (containing dairy) and cereals will help you receive vitamin D quickly, which also helps decrease the risk of stretch marks.
- If you consume nuts and fish in your diet, you will be consuming foods rich in zinc too, which is crucial for the health of the skin, since it aids in the healing of wounds and inflammation of the skin.
It is normal to notice stretch marks on your body even after following all these steps. What you can do is attack them right away, but not with lotions or creams that promise to be the solution. You should see a dermatologist who will examine your stretch marks and recommend the best treatment from the very beginning to reduce their appearance. As a result, you will prevent them from growing or appearing in other parts of your body, creating greater discontent or discomfort.
If you are considering stretch mark treatment, keep in mind that an IPL treatment can help significantly reduce the appearance of stretch marks without the need for care or extreme recovery. Moreover, IPL treatment for stretch marks allows you to naturally produce collagen without extreme complications.